Saturday, September 18, 2010

Certain People I Know

Over the next month and a half I'll start introducing you to the friends I spend time with while here in Kosrae. I wanted to do start introducing everyone on the island much earlier in my stay, but I tend to put things off ( When I was younger I wanted to be a pilot. I'm not a pilot yet, but the dream hasn't died).Since writing about people and pasting their faces on a web page is easier than landing a plane... here are some faces that live in a beautiful place(s).

Sean and Kathy Miller are one of the two missionary couples on the island. Originally from hawaii, they've been living here for about 6 months, before kosrae, they served as missionaries on the neighboring island of pohnpei. Kinder people you will not meet. My first day in kosrae I worked with sean on the construction site, and he made me feel at home instantly. When sean smiles grandmothers around the world, with their cheek pinching desires, turn green with envy at the thought of having him within arms length. He has the ability to make you feel like you've known him forever, when in reality you've just met. He has a trmendous amount of work to do here in kosrae, but everytime you see him, no matter the situation, sean always has a smile on that cheek pinchin face of his. His wife kathy is equally tremendous. The moment that stands out in my mind when i think about kathy is the tuesday that we poured the roof of the kingdom hall. It was 90 something degrees outside and we had a full day of shoveling and mixing conrete ahead of us. While men twice her size were wilting in the sun, small little kathy worked tirelessly. And i think that's what impresses me the most about the millers. They work so hard but they are always so happy, more importantly they make the people around them happy. They are a special couple. If there is any doubt about this, all you have to do is notice where the children flock after the meeting. You find the children and there you'll see kathy encircled by a group of smiling kids, eager to share what's on their mind to someone who they know is listening, and happy to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt,
    I personally think it's a great idea to hear of all these brothers & sisters you have the privilege to work with just because in this system or the new system the rest of us will get to meet them also. Your just allowing us to get a preview of these wonderful people. The Miller's sound like an awesome couple and a great example to follow. Thank you Matt!
    -Kristy

    ReplyDelete